It’s that time of year again – if you’re thinking about putting your house on the market, get ready for a bit of incovenient living. But the payoff is well worth any inconvenience. Once you get your home sale-ready, you need an efficient action plan to accomodate the not-always-convenient showings of your beloved home.
You know how it goes…you get a call from your realtor that a potential buyer wants to see your house…in 30 minutes! So you have to pick up the house, load up your kids (and pets), hop in the car and try to find something meaningful to do for an hour or so.
How you live in your home is quite different than how you sell it. Assuming you’ve already followed your Professional Home Stager’s instructions, you’re a step ahead in preparing for show time. After all, you want to make sure it shows at its best when the curtains come up! Here are some helpful checklists to prepare your staged home for show time in 30 minutes or less.
- Hide liftables – wallets, mail, jewelry, small electronics, passwords, financial statements, etc. Most people are honest, but it helps if you remove the temptation.
- Don’t light candles (fire hazard and looks like you’re trying too hard).
- Turn on lights and open all curtains – yes, even in the daytime.
- Make sure windows are clean.
- Toys, clothes, papers, general clutter.
- If worse comes to worse, grab a large garbage bag and stuff everything in it and take it with you. You can put everything away when you get home.
- Wipe down counters – keep disposable wipes by each counter area to make it quick and easy.
- Make sure the sink shines! There is nothing more disgusting than a dirty sink.
- Empty the trash – even if it’s not full yet.
- Countertops – opt for single large accessory rather than a group of small things – doesn’t have to be out all the time, but “places everyone” applies.
- Make all beds, and arrange decorative pillows per your stager’s instructions.
- ALL toiletries hidden (keep daily use items in a handy cubby that can be stashed under the sink)
- TOILET SEATS DOWN
- Put your towels in the dryer & bring out “show towels”
- Wipe down counters and mirror
- Sniff test –air freshener if needed
- Empty the trash
Pets & Kids
- Don’t even think about leaving the pets behind!
- Keep the car pre-stocked with snacks, water, games, dog leash, picnic blanket, diapers (if needed), and extra changes of clothes (you never know).
- Make up “car games” such as “left, right, or straight” – a game where each kid gets a turn picking which way you turn. Whenever you find someplace interesting, stop and have a car party.
- Have a list of fun places you can visit, such as a pet store, local park, library, etc.
- Music – Play some classical or jazz music softly to add ambiance and minimize eerie silence.
- Concession Stand – Candy Bowl – put out some wrapped candy.
- Check Thermostats – make sure it’s set at a comfortable temperature.
It’s show time…break a leg!