Every now and then you come across a recipe that is both healthy-ish AND a kid favorite. Rather than the traditional macaroni and cheese, I use roasted red peppers to give it more flavor and sneak in more veggies. I also swap out the regular pasta for veggie pasta. While there are more steps than I usually like for a quick meal, I can make this in 20 minutes!
- Box of your favorite pasta
- 1 cup milk
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 jar pureed roasted red peppers
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 TBS Dijon mustard
- Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- To start, mix the corn starch with the milk – tip: just shake it up in a Tupperware container.
- Next, add the chicken broth and stir over medium heat til it starts to thicken
- Drain the roasted red peppers and puree them in a food processor
- Add roasted red pepper puree to your base and stir
- Add the tomato paste, Dijon mustard and pepper
- Now here is where you decide your spin on this – how much and what kind of cheese you use is really up to you.
- Poor over pasta and sprinkle a little more Parmesan and voila, dinner is ready!
Serve with a simple side salad and you’ve got a new twist on a traditional favorite. Enjoy!