I recently had the opportunity to review a new book by House Beautiful entitled “Quick Changes – Fresh Looks for Every Room” and WOW. It as fun, quick read, much like the decor ideas represented in the book!
It was a quick read, but chalk full of easy, creative ideas! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Wall are is like wine. If you like it, it’s good!
- Kitchen’s are the new living Rooms.
- Make your own rules.
- Group things together to create collections out of clutter.
- Books as accessories – very personal and reflects interest.
- Use wall screens to zone or define spaces.
- Use your fancy stuff, daily!
- Be strategically distinctive.
- Not just walls – ceilings, floors, stairs.
- Create contrast.
- Paint patterns.
- Paint back of bookcases.
- Paint the kitchen island a different color.
- Paint furniture.
- Paint doors.
- Paint the inside of cabinet doors.
- Try chalk paint.
- Glossy black window frames.
- Be an illusionist.
- Add texture.
- Energize dull spaces.
- Make your own wall paper (maps, newspaper, old letters, etc.)
- Confident? Wallpaper the ceiling!
- No rules in the powder room. Be bold.
- Wall panels can enlarge a room, IF you like the look.
- Use as an art backdrop.
- Trick: place 2 mirrors in a corner, perpendicular to each other.
- Use a mirror in the kitchen to make it feel more like the dining room.
- Casual placement – prop a large mirror against the wall.
- Round mirrors are hot!
Cozy it up:
- Nothing says cozy like a chaise.
- Creative use of curtains as walls to add softness.
- Use a “real” rug in the bathroom
- Add outdoor rugs to patio areas.
- Add a chalkboard in the kitchen.
- Float a casual white tablecloth over an outdoor table for instant romance.
- Hang pots on the wall.
- Wall-to-wall curtains – like a big hug.
- Create cozy seating areas for intimate conversations.
Punch it up:
- Color accents – pillows, throws, lamps, oh my!
- Use graphical patterns and contrast to make a statement.
- Be memorable. Express yourself!
- Oversize your flora and fauna.
- Chairs – paint glossy black, add slip cover, reupholster the back of a chair in a different fabric.
- Treat your closet like a dressing room.
- Paint an old piece of furniture, repurpose – you’d be surprised what can be turned into a bar.
- Spruce up lamp shades with fabric, paint or ribbons.
- Rearrange your furniture – use angles, float away from walls, zone by function!
- Saarinen tables?
- New sheets, stack pillows rather than lean them against the headboard.
- Make a creative workspace out of a closet – remove doors, add inspiration board.
- Never keep anything you don’t love.
- Window treatments – less is more.
- Add floating shelves to help organize without demanding floor space.
- Minimalist headboard – hand suzani or quilt on wall, use a curtain rod or casual hooks.
- Wicker is unpretentious. Just sayin.